d parker

Default Avoiding an Accidental Gybe - suggestions please

Others have posted good advice. With making an assumption on your
experience, there are a lot of sailors that don't understand the warning
signals of an accidental gybe.

The clew on the jib/genoa is the key. Once the clew starts to fall toward
the deck and come amidships (because it is now sheltered by the main) you
are entering the Danger Zone. It is also time to goosewing. But then you
lose the advantage of having a warning signal. It is a matter of weighing
up the circumstances, at the time, whether you chose goosewing or not. But
while that headsail is on the same side as the main you have a great visual
alarm.

Experienced sailors know they are able to sail "down" several more degrees
before a gybe at this point. But, if you are uncertain, stick with the set
headsail and tack downwind to keep an adequate margin of safety.

DP

"Sting" wrote in message
Does anyone have any recommendations for rigs to prevent an accidental

gybe.
My boat is a 34 foot sloop.
Having just had the scariest experience of my life taking my unconscious
brother in law to casualty this weekend following a boom/head incident,

I'm
keen never to repeat the experience.
Bye the way - bottom line is concentration lapsed and I took my eye off

the
changing wind direction but something to restrain the boom in future would
be reassuring.