Alan Baker

Default Avoiding an Accidental Gybe - suggestions please

In article ,
"Sting" wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for rigs to prevent an accidental gybe.
My boat is a 34 foot sloop.
Having just had the scariest experience of my life taking my unconscious
brother in law to casualty this weekend following a boom/head incident, I'm
keen never to repeat the experience.
Bye the way - bottom line is concentration lapsed and I took my eye off the
changing wind direction but something to restrain the boom in future would
be reassuring.

Some boats have the vang setup so that it can be moved from its
attachment point on the mast and taken to a point near the gunwhale and
forward of the boom, where it can then act as a preventer.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia