Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Ping: Greg

On 11/18/2016 8:32 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 18:14:53 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

My oldest grandson is in his 6th week of US Coast Guard boot camp. He
just called home with news of his first duty station:

http://navaltoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/USCGC-Tahoma-Back-in-Portsmouth-Homeport.jpg

Way cool. That is a step up from my first cutter

https://www.semperparatus.com/images...o_jan1967..jpg

"Charley" (weather station) in Nov Dec 65 was fun ;-)
What is he planning on doing? I went to school before I went to sea.

Things have changed in the Coast Guard. You now qualify for schools
before signing up but you have to spend about a year at a duty station
after boot camp before attending the schools. He will be going to an
electrical type school (forget which one exactly) but I think it is
similar to the Navy's "EM" or "electrician's mate" school. Whoops. I
guess it must now be "electrician's person" school.