Peggie Hall

Default Virus Update- Is your name on the list?

Hmmm...methinks you may be doing it the hard way.

I got the same virus email...sender's address was @ms.com. That's not a
legitimate address for anyone who'd be sending me mail...and, it's on
the SpamCop list...AND--Microsoft doesn't send emails unless you've
subscribed to their update alerts. So, I blacklisted *ms.com and haven't
seen a one since then. No need to filter the subject line or
anything...ALL mail from any sender using an @ms.com address is
automatically deleted and bounced back as undeliverable to my address.

I suspect you rely much more on filters than on the blacklist....I did
too when I first installed Mailwasher...till I figured out how to use
the blacklist. Once I figured it out--which was about a year ago--I
deleted almost all the filters...only have 4 left, and they only mark
for delete, nothing else. Everything else goes on the blacklist, 99% of
which is wildcard expressions. Mailwasher purges any that haven't been
used in a preset number of days...the default is 200 days...I reduced it
to 90, figuring that's about as a long as spammers and virus propagators
ever use the same one. About once a week I go into it and edit
spammers' email addresses to wildcards...and so far, it's working...I'm
only actually seeing about 5 emails a day that aren't legitimate, and I
get to blacklist those.

So if you haven't, you might spend some time exploring how the blacklist
actually works--how to turn email addresses into wildcard expressions.
'Cuz they really cut down on the number of filters needed. In fact, the
only thing I use filters for is to screen the headers on the email lists
I'm subscribed to, so I only downoad the topics I want to participate
in. The rest, I just leave marked for delete--not blacklisted, not
bounced...just deleted off the server.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"