Jeanne

Default Cutter

Thanks Guys......

Not a big concern for my lists of morphemes. But I was challenged lately by
a lady who "knew all" about boats and I was embarrassed without a response -
while I maneuvered my "cutter". The 2/5 and 1/2 things came from
Encyclopedia of Sailing by the editors of Yacht Racing/Cruising (Harper &
Row). Anyhow, this has been enlightening and shows different approaches to
the same problem - huh?

Cheers,
Bruce

"Jeanne" wrote in message

Hi Guys.......

Trying to find a true definition of a cutter as opposed to a sloop. As I
have always understood it, a sloop has its mast stepped at 2/5ths of the
distance from the waterline of the bow to the waterline of the stern -
waterline being the key. And a cutter has its mast halfway between the
waterline of the bow to the waterline of the stern. But the other
definition I find is that a sloop is 2/5ths of the overall length while a
cutter is 1/2 that distance including the usual bow sprint. Who's correct
here?
Thanks,
Bruce