Steve

Default Allison W24 (+ Sea Story)

The "W" configuration I mention is in a single block. Kinda like a third of
a radial engine.

I'm not sure if it had a single crank shaft.

Sea Story:
While in the US Navy, I came across an old WWII PC that had "Quad's". This
ship was about 100' with twin screw (two shafts) and a total of 8 engines.
Power to each shaft was provided by four GMC V8-71s. Two facing forward and
two facing aft. Each engine had a twin disc clutch with pnuematic controls
and could be engaged/disengaged from the main reduction gear.

I came across this ship (actually several), loaded with Cambodian refugees
in 1975. The refugees were disembarked by the US Marines and I, with a crew
of 8 US Navy sailors, brought this old PC into Subic Bay.

Of the 8 engines. Only one engine on the port shaft was operational and 2
engines on the stbd shaft was running. Only operational generator was a 2-71
aux and after about 2 hours it went due to a leaking SW pump spraying onto
the 'ole' open face switch board.

No power ment no steering system. We took a tow for the last 30 mile to a
mooring in Subic Bay.

Last I heard, these 'neat' little ships were turned over to Nat. Chineese
Navy.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions