John Magee

Default Joints in plywood canoes

Biscuit joints would not give enough strength, the idea of the scarf joint
is that the angle increases the surface area of the joint between the two
pieces of timber giving a stronger bond, generally if your using an epoxy
resin you should be able to get a very strong joint, so long as the scarf's
are the same, a thicker filleting mix of epoxy can help fill any voids. if
you're really worried you can also lap over fibreglass tape, but you can
spoil the look of the boat. If your not bothered about the looks then it's
not a problem though. If you get in touch with SP systems and West Systems
(both epoxy makers) they will send you loads of free info about practical
uses of their products.

John

"Fred" wrote in message
advice wanted on joints in plywood. I am making a canoe out of 4mm plywood
and it mentions scarf joints, which I now know about. The question is

could
I make the Joints biscuit joints and woiuld they be as strong?

(joining 2 x 8x4 to make one 16ft long plank)

fred

---
artificial flavours.