Ewan Scott

Default Questions from a newbie

On 13 Nov 2003 10:03:07 -0800, (Liz) wrote:

Hello

I'm new to newsgroups (so hopefully haven't made a pig's ear of it!)
and new to kayaking. What I'd like to know is as a 35 year old
beginner, are my chances of becoming a great paddler less now than if
I'd started as a child or does age not enter the equation? I know I'm
not old but I seem to be the eldest novice in my local club, lol.

Also, as a complete "Humbug" I was wondering if any instructors out
there would be willing to give me lessons over the Christmas break. I
live in Southampton, and am yearning to get out of the pool and onto a
river. I'm trying to boycott Xmas this year and can't think of a
better way to spend it : )

So far all the posts have been from those who have seen others do it.

Well I've done it.

I paddled a litle bit when I was at school. A very little bit which
finished with me going over a wier on the Clyde sideways and refusing
to get bak in a kayak/ canoe until I was in my late 30's.

I only really got serious about paddling three years ago, at the age
of 44. I'm now a L2 Coach and working towards 4Star CCK.

Has age made a difference? Yes and No.

I'm a bit stiffer than i used to be, my health is not what it was when
I was younger - both impact on my "fears". If I take a dip in too icy
water it could have a more serious impact upon me now than when I was
20. That does make me a little less committed to new strokes on moving
water - I really don't want to go in - and that is as a result of my
age. However. I coach regularly and am probably a better coach than I
am a paddler, and I see the same fears in most kids. So, maybe age
doesn't matter too much after all.

Go out and do it. You'll find you get better and better the more you
do. There will always be some flash get out there who can do it better
and bigger, just do your own thing and take it where you want to go.

Ewan Scott

http://www.claytonwestscouts.org.uk