Peter Clinch

Default Questions from a newbie

Peter wrote:

Age comes in because people get stiffer, but if you are taught good
technique, you should be able to roll. I have seen a paraplegic lady being
taught to roll... a hipflick free roll. It's interesting to see how she does
it.

A pawlata roll is quite easy to do without a hip-flick. In fact that's
one of the nice things about it: less co-ordination required and you're
using leverage rather than brute power so are less likely to do a
naughty to a shoulder too. Not great if you're in a Big Hurry, but more
likely to work if you're not.

Our club starts folk off on pawlatas and then progresses to screws after
that's fairly bombproof. Must say I'm not getting very far with reverse
screws at the moment: back to that "which way is up? what do I do now?
what am I doing here?" feeling I had first time I was trying pawlatas
unassisted!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital