Steve

Default Questions from a newbie

Liz wrote:

Hello

I'm new to newsgroups (so hopefully haven't made a pig's ear of it!)
and new to kayaking. What I'd like to know is as a 35 year old
beginner, are my chances of becoming a great paddler less now than if
I'd started as a child or does age not enter the equation? I know I'm
not old but I seem to be the eldest novice in my local club, lol.

Also, as a complete "Humbug" I was wondering if any instructors out
there would be willing to give me lessons over the Christmas break. I
live in Southampton, and am yearning to get out of the pool and onto a
river. I'm trying to boycott Xmas this year and can't think of a
better way to spend it : )

TIA

Liz.

Hi Liz,

Well its unlikely you're going to make a world class freestyle paddler...
but it doesn't mean you won't be running grade 4 in 2 years.

In our club, we've got a few members who started paddling around the
40ish mark. I would say that all who started within the last 3 years
(with the exception of one or two maybe) have developed a good roll on
one side and paddled grade 2 with confidence within 6 months of joining.
One or two have even managed a trip to the alps in their first year.

At your age, you should be able to achieve what you want... just don't
let the speed that the little buggers in your club pick things up. Kids
learn really fast and almost effortlessly..., whereas we've got to keep
plugging away.

If you want to travel to south Wales, e.mail me and I'll arrange for a
few of us (adults only) to go out for the day.

Have fun,
Steve (Amman Valley Paddlers)