Peter

Default Questions from a newbie

"Liz" wrote in message
om...
Hello

I'm new to newsgroups (so hopefully haven't made a pig's ear of it!)
and new to kayaking. What I'd like to know is as a 35 year old
beginner, are my chances of becoming a great paddler less now than if
I'd started as a child or does age not enter the equation? I know I'm
not old but I seem to be the eldest novice in my local club, lol.

Also, as a complete "Humbug" I was wondering if any instructors out
there would be willing to give me lessons over the Christmas break. I
live in Southampton, and am yearning to get out of the pool and onto a
river. I'm trying to boycott Xmas this year and can't think of a
better way to spend it : )

Age does come into it, as it does for any sport... As my doctor put it, "As
you grow older you have to train for your sport, rather than using your
sport to train". I am similar aged to you, and now I find I need to do some
work in the gym to keep up paddling fitness. But there is no reason not to
start now. I regularly coach people older than myself. We get the right
results. Just go for it! I think the oldest person I have taught was 65, and
we got him rolling.

Southampton... sorry... too far away :-(
A friendly word of advice... at this time of year... get some decent
paddling wear... (shiver)

Happy paddling!

Peter

Add "bypass" to subject line to email this address. All others rejected.