posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] WayneBatrecdotboats@hotmail.com is offline

Default AC Isolation Transformer:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 08:11:44 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi- wondering if you have any tips on figuring out why an isolation transformer on my boat keeps tripping.
It has a breaker switch located on the isolation transformer itself, and that keeps tripping while plugged
into 50 amp shore power. It is a 50 amp boat. I note that the breaker switch itself seems flimsy when
turning it back on. Can breaker switches themselves become weak over time? The boat is about 16
years old...

===

Yes, breakers can become weak as they age but there are other
possibilities. For example a loose connection can generate heat, and
heat can cause a breaker to trip. You may have also developed a
leakage path somewhere. Unless you have the test equipment and
know-how, you should probably hire a marine electrician to take a look
at it. Faulty shore power circuits are a leading cause of boat fires.