John Q Adams

Default River Grades - Rafts vs Kayaks

Having walked off high-flood 5's on winter N CA water - never along the road
(can you spell "dragging boats up 200 foot cliffs with throw ropes and/or
walking miles in wet tennies in the rain across hill country farmers meadows
dragging your boat behind you "). I concluded that I was a true dolt, since
I let it happen more than once a year. Good exercise though. And we were
always so happy to be out of the river.

Then, of course, there were the spring and summer shallow exploratory 2's
that turned into rocky 5's and impassible 6's. "No, let's scratch that one
off the possible list." "Nice day, though." "Lovely boat hike."

The lesson: take good comrades along.

John Adams

"Dave Manby" wrote in message
I always liked the way of describing grades as

grade 1 take the mother in law
grade 2 take the girlfriend
grade 3 take the wife
grade 4 take the mistress
grade 5 take the photographs
grade 6 take the mother-in-law

Change to suit your sex

old joke I know but someone might not have heard it
--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at