[email protected] WayneBatrecdotboats@hotmail.com is offline

Default Apple and the FBI

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 12:53:58 -0400, wrote:

Unfortunately for Apple, the FBI is doing exactly what I predicted.
They are hacking that phone themselves. The reported exploit is also
what I predicted. They are going to clone the phone so they can just
do a brute force attack on the encryption and roll out another clone
every time it locks. It will be done in software so that is not as
cumbersome as it sounds. I still think this is Kubuki theater. My bet
is they already cracked that phone a month or more ago and were just
trying to lull the terrorists into thinking the I-phone was secure.
Letting news of this hack leak was a mistake.
It is a good thing we did not have this "free press" in WWII or we
would have lost that war.
Imagine a press that believed the public had the right to know when
and where D-Day was going to be and that we had cracked Enigma, JN25
and the Japanese diplomatic code.

We need to have a few secrets

===

The FBI was backed into a corner between a rock and a hard place. The
court of public opinion was solidly on the side of Apple and it was
beginning to look like their legal arguments were losing also. If it
had gone to trial and the FBI lost, a legal precedent would have been
set that would continue to haunt them in the future. In order to
prevent it from going to trial and losing, they needed some sort of
pretext and that's the reason the story of the 3rd party hack was
released. There's a good chance the phone had been cracked already.