Broooz

Default Gentle Paddling in Scotland.

"Jim Wallis" wrote in message
news:utsiib.4kj.ln@Eskdale...
As for Broooz' comment about considering someone of L4 qualification or
equal ability is suitable to guide something like the Leny, I totally
disagree. L4 is not about river guiding,

I mentioned L4 because the major difference between L3 and L4 is the river
leadership element - that is what 5 star is all about.

I know loads of paddlers who
could very safely lead/guide on much harder water than the Leny but have
nowhere near the coaching abilities of a L4 coach. I just wish everyone
was able to spot the significant difference between coaching and river
running.

I agree too.

I'm always uncomfortable with grading discussions as different
experience leads to different opinions. As such I don't want to apply
grades to the Leny

Whilst I agree with much of what you say, I know someone who died on the
Leny because he missed the breakout above the falls. He was better than a
grade 1 or 2 paddler. That is partly why I feel strongly about this one.

Anyway, I think it's time to put the handbags away! You're both starting
to look like idiots and I'm concerned that by joining in my reputation
is going to get even lower :-)

Agreed - will try to look after your reputation in future! I didn't have
one to start with.