Mike Buckley

Default Gentle Paddling in Scotland.

Broooz wrote in message
news:H5S0b.2855$O15.24416276@news-

- - - - try looking at the
rapid from the point of view of the gradings definitions and you will see

it
is clearly grade III.

We'll just go round in circles with this one, clearly. I think I'll stick by
my view. I apprecaite your opinion - while still maintaining that its not a
III in present low water conditions.

Alternatively, ask an experienced level IV or V coach
if you don't trust the views of the only coaches to join this thread so

far.

Thanks - I'll base my advice on my own experience. It doesn't take a level
IV or V coach to grade the river.

However the grading of that particular rapid less critical than the upper
Leny. Your original comment that caused concern from both me and Jim was
the statement "If the Leny is low, its relatively gentle (ex the Falls of
course). " The problem with that is how to judge whether it is low if you
are a grade II paddler you may not appreciate the difference. Secondly,

how
to ensure you get off the river before the falls which is a very high risk
situation to put anyone of this experience into. Fortunately, Ewan was

not
lulled into a false sense of security and decided against the Leny, but I
can't understand why you suggested it.

We've dealt with that. In any event, I would expect anyone paddling an
unknown river, especially one where specific advice has been given with
regard to an area to avoid, to treat it with appropriate respect. Hardly
"lulling anone into a false sense of security" you'll agree.