Mike Buckley

Default Gentle Paddling in Scotland.

Ewan Scott wrote in message
Forgive me for replying to my own post, but it seems the best way of
commenting on the results of my original enquiry.

We were aware of the perils of the Leny, so it really isn't an issue.
We wouldn't do it wet, I've seen it's power, and I've seen it dry so
can see the boulders below waiting to liquidise those without the
ability to stay upright... So No thanks to the leny anyway.

Well within your capabilities. But you made your decision based on your own
knowledge and appreciation of whats there, so I can only commend you on that
;-)

We paddled from the put it at Strathyre down into Loch Lubnaig ( you
can apparently only put in at the campsite if you are camping). The
river trip was v.gentle, but a headwind on Loch Lubnaig made the loch
trip interesting. We surfed back up the lock on our return.
The paddle back up the river was easy with a couple of portages due to
lack of water.

Sounds like you had fun then.

We also paddled Loch Achray and investigated the river towards Loch
Venacher until the midges got too much.

Maybe there should be a "midge factor" included in river/loch guides - - - -

However, we bought the Scottish Whitewater Guide and went on a road
trip to investigate various sections advised. LOL. Grand Tully almost
got us taking a chance at low water. but discretion was the better
part of wisdom. We may have bn okay, but without back up we were
knackered if anything went wrong.

Grantully would have been lots of fun - get it wrong early on and its a
long, bumpy swim to the pool at the bottom though.

We looked at a number of other locations, including the Teith, the
latter being very low, and lthough we could have paled it, it seemed
that we would be spending a lot of time bumping off rocks and it was a
long walk back to the start with only one car available.

Been there - done that! A bike is the answer although hitching can work! Not
well, but it can. Could be the wet-suit that put folk off of course - - - -

At Dumfries we looked at the Caul, really not a lot of water there,
there was enough going through the salom ladder, but evidence of
hidden debris cautioned us against giving it a try without knowing
what was under the surface below the breach. Maybe next time.

Its safe enough - let us know when next you're up and we'll "arrange"
something.

By next Winter we should have our 4 Star and be working towards Level
Three, so maybe we will be better equipped. Thanks anyway.

Best of luck - making good progress by the sound of it.

Ewan Scott
http://www.claytonwestscouts.org.uk

YIS - Mike.