Mike Buckley

Default Gentle Paddling in Scotland.

Broooz wrote in message
"Mike Buckley" wrote in message
Hmmm - I've paddled the Leny many times over many years and NEVER had

any
problems.

I take your point Mike but I think you may well have the experience to

avoid
the difficulties. You also know when it is too high to be safe - the Leny
rises fairly quickly if there is heavy rainfall. But as a river to
recommend to someone who is looking for a grade I or II this must be a
complete no. It is possible to die on the falls if you miss the take out
beforehand. So definitely not for someone on their first trip without an
experienced guide and for me that means at least with the ability if not

the
qualification of level 4 coach.

Hmmm - I wonder if the plot / context isn't being lost here! LBL replied (in
perhaps a less than constructive fashion) to the ACCESS discussion in tones
that could be interpreted as being indicative of there being a problme with
ACCESS on the Leny "at the moment".

Now maybe there is, maybe not. In any case, "paddling" the Leny "without
(access) problems" - which I have - I am not aware of any access problems,
unless things have changed in the last few months - is different to paddling
the Leny and needing to be aware of its inherent risks.

However, in low water, *below* the Falls, I would suggest that any resonably
competent paddler with some moving water experience will have no difficulty
whatsover, normal "rules" regarding commonsense and an appreciation of ones
own ability taken into account of course. It'll be a bumpy scrape, but a
pretty one. The Teith will be a very bumpy scrape but a very pretty one.

Paddling *above* the Falls on the Leny is certainly not something to suggest
to anyone, especially anyone uncertain of their own abilitites and lacking
knowledge of the river. The consequences of getting it wrong above the Falls
are potentially lethal. And in high water that river moves very fast indeed.

For the record, I have paddled the Leny without having an access problem,
but having to deal with a few paddlign problems. Different subject -
different context.

Incidentally, the Nith has adequate water between Drumlandrig and Dumfries
for a gentle and scenic float. The rest of it is a dry ditch and it would
prpbably be easier to walk the gorge than paddle it today!

Mike.