Ewan Scott

Default Gentle Paddling in Scotland.

"Broooz" wrote in message ...
"Mike Buckley" wrote in message
If the Leny is low, its relativly gentle (ex the Falls of course).

I agree with most of Mike's suggestions but steer clear of Leny as there are
stretches of grade 3 and 4. If you are very experienced you can avoid these
but my interpretation of what you have said suggests more caution so I would
avoid the river if you are interested in grade 1-2. If you are fairly
confident then the Leny below the falls is OK and that runs into Callander.
The Teith just below the Leny is your best bet in that area although it can
be hard work at low levels - this is an excellent river for introducing
people to whitewater. Watch the take-out for theft in cars - best to leave
all valuables at Callander.

The Teith sounds the best bet. I wouldn't dream of tackling the Leny
anyway. We are looking for more of a gentle paddle than a real
whitewater experience.

Likewise I would probably steer clear of the Nith depending on your
experience as there are grade 3 stretches there although it is a very nice
river. I am not sure about the Border Esk but I thought it needed a lot
more rain than we've had.

If were in Dumfries on Tuesday we would probably go play in the Caul
where there were others around to help us out if we got in trouble.

Other stretches of water worth considering are the Tweed (several good
introductory sections with grade 1-2)and also the Tay below where Mike
mentioned from Thistlebrigg down to Perth (mostly grade 1). Whitewater
enthusiasts probably have never done this.

Thanks for the comment.

Ewan Scott