quack

Default Scariest MF Salmon rapid!

Yeah, I ran it a week or so ago. Two people on my trip had seen it earlier
in ther year at higher water and said 'just run it down the middle.' I got
behind the rest of the group, so saw no one run it. Standing on the frame I
couldn't see any channel anywhere, so I went for the left side, trying to
push hard enough to split a pourover and tehe big hole beyond. While it
didn't exactly work, I didn't flip, either . . . but I wouldn't recommend it
as a run to jot in your guidebook. My passenger, who had been unimpressed
with the rest of the river, finally got the idea of what highside means and
why. We looked at the rapid driving out, and it looked like a river-wide
hole to me. There may well be a run on the right, but it looked pretty
boney. It's a bigger drop with bigger waves than I've seen on the Grand
Canyon, and at least at the level I ran it, there wasn't a channel or tongue
anywhere. It gave everyone something to talk about at take-out, and the
extra adrenaline made unloading gear go faster.