Dan Dunphy

Default Upper Animas First Descent: RFI

Fletcher Anderson refers to this run (Siverton to Rockwood), in his
book, Rivers of the Southwest. My copy is 1982.

Doug Wheat took a 10 year sabattical to research his book, released in
1983, and had run it numerous times before we built boats in Apr/May
1983. Sometime during this time, Bill Tuthill, of Colorado Springs,
climed out of the canyon with a dislocated shoulder. They had to walk
back in to get the boats and gear.
Doug was in the middle of negoations with the publisher during our
boat build. Sometime after we finished the build, he lost a boat, and
gear, when his skirt blew off, trying to rescue Curtis Bray. Curtis
tried to run a difficult rapid, without scouting. They said the river
was so high, you could the boulders rolling around in the bed. Doug
and friends did a number of first decents, including the Encampment.

Dan

On 6 Jan 2004 09:58:03 -0800, (Ted Compton) wrote:

Anyone have info on who did the first descent? When? What equipment?
I wouldn't be surprised if one of you is out there listening right
now. Just interested for my own knowledge.

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.