Te Canaille

Default Fallin' on the Toog

"Pepe" wrote in message m...
Last weekend me and 3 friends decided to do the Chattooga. I had
previously done Sec II a while back. One guy had fished Sec II
another had never been and Matt has gone on 2 GCA (Georgia Canoe
Assoc) trips on Sec III. We had 2 digital 3 megapix cams and one point
and shoot Pentax WR90. The scans from the Pentax were very crappy
amateur scans so we don't have much in the way of many nice quality
pixs but I thought some of ya'll might enjoy the fall colors and some
river pixs of the Chattooga.

Four of us put in Sat. at Long Bottom and paddled to Sandy Ford where
we camped. Two of the guys were taking out there and me and Matt were
gonna stay one more night dump our camping gear and run the rest of
sec III the next day. Unfortunetly the weather turned and started
raining non stop early Sunday morning and our weather radio said
heavy rain and 10 to 15 mph winds the next day so we decided to go
home and try it another time.

The portage out of Sandy Ford was brutal with our big boats and all
the camping gear. I ain't nevah doing that again. I brought back a
killer flu which has had me bed ridden since last monday. Next time we
go we'll prolly car camp at Earls Ford the first night then run Sec
III the next day.

Levels were at 1.4 and Sec II was very bony. There were many areas
thatthere was no choice but to get out and drag the boats. The river
totally changes character after Earls Ford and it is absolutly
beautiful. The Rock Garden, and Dicks Creek were just jaw droping
beautiful. I'm really stoked up to do the rest of Sec III now!!
Specially with empty boats. We walked Dicks since it was the end of
the day and we we're all pretty tired and also it just looked too low
and and making that first eddy right after the drop did not look too
inviting with the low water and our loaded BIG boats. Matt was in the
16 ft Appalachian and even with decent levels making that 1st eddy
with a loaded 16 ft boat woulda been a challenge.

Hope ya'll enjoy the pixs. Set you screens to 1024x768 for best
viewing

www.paban.net/toog

SY'llOTR

Pepe

Hi Pepe :

Thanks for the pics. Brings back some fond memories of a great river.
It's pretty bony at 1.4 ft. on the Hwy 76 guage. I've been fortunate enough to paddle Sec. II & III at varying levels but always
between 2.0 and 2.2 ft. on the guage.

John S.