Mr. Tea

Default Middle Fork of the Salmon River

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message

So you portaged The Chutes and Tappen Falls, but ran everything else?
And it seems like you did this during permit season at 1.7 = 1.6 feet.
I believe this river is open-permit (no lottery) after September 15th.

Yes. I believe the permits go to first come first serve after Labor Day.
In some years fall trips are possible, in some years not. Snow would
probably be possible in September, but over Labor Day this year temps were
in the upper 80's.

Did you have to roll after running the big hole at Rubber, or any of
the other major rapids in Impassible Canyon?

I swamped several times in the Impassable Canyon, including at Rubber. I
did get through both Redsides and Weber dry. Weber has a river wide ledge
at the top, but there is a bit of a sneak on the far left which lines you up
nicely for the remainder of the rapid. Devil's Tooth might well have been
the hardest rapid at this level.

There is a lot of maneuvering required on this river at this level. By the
time you get to the Impassable Canyon you are well warmed up for it. The
big risk is swamping an open canoe in the upper section of a rapid and
losing your ability to maneuver. That could easily result in a broach or a
swim. Of course if you are not comfortable moving a canoe around a lot you
could broach anywhere.

-Doug