Mr. Tea

Default Middle Fork of the Salmon River

"Randy Hodges" wrote in message
Just curious, did you see many others on the river?

The river is quieter during late summer. I was passed by the only other
private party I saw on the second day, though I again passed them, as well
as 3 commercial trips. I did see someone every day.

Was there still
enough water for medium-sized rafts (With low water experience)? I
assume so since the Forest Service had a raft out there.

The Forest Service rafts were Maravias - probably the best for abrasion
resistance. Commercial trips sometimes float the upper river empty and pick
up supplies and customers at Indian Creek - and a private party could do the
same. Costs are not prohibitive. Packing light - backpack style - is worth
considering.

You will hit rocks. The USFS and the Commercial guides ran everything
blind, but scouting is worth it for a first timer to reduce the number of
surprise pour overs. At 1.7-1.8 the upper river was boney, but I never had
to get out of my boat to drag it across a gravel bar. There were only a
couple of sections on the lower river that were similiar - the vast majority
of it was great.

We have been trying to bag a MF permit for years without any luck.
Perhaps we should try for later in the year.

Odds are 30:1 during the peak period. The lottery period ends after Labor
Day and in a good water year that is an option. I suspect that your
likelihood of getting a cancellation goes up considerably in the late season
too.

-Doug