Pepe

Default Looking for that upgade to the oc-1 ww

Thanks Dan. You make the trip last that long by only paddling 6 to 8
miles a day and staying at camps more than one day. When we hit a nice
site we like to hang out sleep late, fish and explore the land and do
some photography. Besides the exploring and other fun stuff it breaks
the monotony of pack and unpack every day.

Actually we we're gonna go for 5 days cept it rained 3 of the 4 days
and the levels kept rising and our weather radios said the temps were
gonna drop another 10 deg and heavier rains were on the way. We put in
at 2.5 ft and when I checked the gauges the day after we took out it
was in the 3.5 range. On our last day the rain were something fierce
and there were sudden gusts of wind that would side swipe our boats
like a floating leaf. I remember lining up on the tongue to enter
Silo (I think that was the rapids name) and a gust of wind came and
slid me side ways to a big drop. My boat noseed dived and was half way
swamped and I still had to go at least what seemed like a 100+ yds of
3 + ft wave trains. With the boat half full of water plus all the gear
it took all I had to keep the boat head into the waves so I would
dump. Whew!! ;+D

As far a put ins and take outs I'm not really sure of the names but I
think we put in at Sandstone aiming to take out at Thurmond. Does that
sound right?

(Dan Valleskey) wrote in message . com...
On 10 Sep 2003 18:55:13 -0700,
(Pepe) wrote:

snipsnip...

handle pretty durn good in Class III water . Check out a 4 day trip me
and a coupla buds did last fall on the New in Wva at:

http://www.mindspring.com/~pepe3/newriver/

Nice pictures! How did you turn the New into a 4 day trip? How far
up is it possible to put in? Where did you take out?

As to the rumor that Dagger is getting out of the WW canoe bidness-
check out the thread in rec.boats.paddle about royalex wearing out.
Could soft Royalex be a factor for them?

-Dan