Peter H

Default Kel or no keel?

wrote:

I have a Fiberglass Chestnut Prospector (at least the deck plate
says so) with a small keel. I am interested in how a keel-less canoe
would perform. Could someone please tell me their assssment of the
performance advantage of a keel-less canoe on a Class two or three
river? Thanks

You'll notice a great difference in Class II & III waters, somewhat less
in still or mild currents. All else being equal, you don't need a keel
in a canoe for very much of anything. I've had a numberof canoes, with &
without. I'll stay without. The supposed advantages of a keel are
quickly obviated by wind, current, rocks, load and inexperience. The
only justification I can find is for adding a bit of structural
integrity; this is better accomplished in other ways.

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton aka The Ent (and registered Maine guide)

--
Old age is always 15 years older than I am.
B. M. Baruch