Paul Dougherty

Default Removing lower unit from 40 hp Johnson outboard - Help?

Clams

No problem. If I am mistaken in what I say I can take the correction.
But, I am not sure about the rubber hubs in my alum. prop. I do not
use them much. I'll have to look. But on my comp props that I use on
the local river due to the river depth in spots. I got them for $30 a
piece. Disposable at that cost.
http://www.midwestpropeller.com/3bladecomprops.html there is no rubber
at all. So I am not sure what happen to my lower unit when that rock
got stuck. This requires further investigation as there was no damage
to the propeller.

Paul

(Brian Silver) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

I am new to boating and screwed up my lower unit.
I think I stripped the gears because at one position the prop will rotate
freely while in gear (forward).
I removed the 5 bolts below the anticavitation plate and the lower unit
has dropped an inch but is being held by the shifting linkage rod.
Am I looking for trouble or can I remove the lower unit easily.
I think the shifting rod can be freed up from under the carburator(s)
Would I then slide the whole rod out?
Would I mess up the shifting setup?
I have all winter to work on this and so far it has been interesting,
Thanks for the responses in advance,

Brian Silver, Little Long Lake, Ontario, Canada.