RG

Default Gel cell batteries - why?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Thank you! Yet ANOTHER place to spend my money. But, isn't that what boats
are for? My girlfriend has found some elegant porcelain wall sconces she
thinks we should mount inside the boat. It's a 14' boat with 3 benches,

but
hey...there's always room for more accessories. I'll probably mount the
generator to a wooden raft that we'll tow behind the boat.

I bought three of the group 27 Lifelines two years ago and haven't so much
as looked at them since I installed them. They are installed in an
extremely high heat situation, which would otherwise have killed off normal
wet cells batteries by this time (as it did the OEM batteries that came with
the boat). I have not been able to detect any degradation of performance
since they were new. At $150 each, they are priced probably a little more
than double what a generic discount group 27 deep cycle would cost. But
when you combine their increased performance and safety with the fact that I
no longer have to stand on my head to do battery maintenance, money very
well spent for me. Friends of mine that have bought them on my
recommendation are equally as pleased with them. When it comes time to
replace the batteries in my truck, I'll install AGM's.