John H[_15_] John H[_15_] is offline

Default Supremes let "Assault Weapon" ban stand

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 12:55:44 PM UTC-5, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 12/7/15 12:48 PM, John H wrote:
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 12:07:37 PM UTC-5, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 12/7/15 11:59 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 10:02:35 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

I think I mentioned here I sold my "Assault Weapon," my Colt AR 15, some
months ago. It was a fine rifle, but the more I thought about what it
was, the more it troubled me to own it. I replaced it with a more
traditional-looking rifle that handles the same round, and I actually
prefer using it with small magazines.

My M1A looks like a traditional rifle. It is not really an assault
rifle tho because it is not selective fire and it shoots a full sized
cartridge. Ballistically the 7.62x51 is pretty much identical to the
30-06. You can shoot the same bullets at the same velocities,
particularly if you use SAAMI .308 loadings but the milspec "ball"
round is about the same.

My "replacement" for the Colt is a Ruger Mini 14 "Ranch", the one with a
black "plastic" (the plastic has a fancier name, but it is plastic to
me) stock. I put a scope mount rail on it, and for the moment I have a
red dot sight on the rifle. The only modification I've made so far is to
send the trigger assembly out for a "full trigger job" to smooth and
lighten the action. It shoots the stockpile of .223 and 5.56 ammo I have.

Ah, a 'stealth' AR-15.

There you go. Actually, I didn't know this at the time I got it, but
apparently there are videos and instructions readily available to turn
the Mini 14 into a full auto rifle. Well, illegalities aside, that's not
for me. I hate to waste ammo, considering decent rounds are 29 cents
each. In fact, I use five round mags only. They fit flush to the bottom
of the rifle.

That gun demonstrates the stupidity of many of the 'assault rifle' laws. It has all the capabilities of the AR15 style guns.