Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Interesting Uber ride

On 12/6/2015 12:08 AM, Alex wrote:
Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/5/2015 7:58 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 13:19:58 -0800, Califbill billnews wrote:

wrote:
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 18:59:36 -0800, Califbill billnews wrote:

wrote:
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 16:22:30 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"

wrote:

They still have one GM van that I've used a couple of times.
Definitely
has a nicer, softer ride compared to the Fords which ride like
... well
.. trucks. They live a hard life though.

An E150 is a truck. A Chevy Van is a van box on a "C" body car
chassis. There is no reason why it shouldn't be able to ride like a
1974 Sedan De Ville. They just had to beef up the springs to get the
half ton rating.

Van does not have the long overhang from the axles in the back or
front, so
will never ride as smooth as a 74 caddie.

The main difference there is just the seating position. The caddy
driver is centered between the wheels and the van driver is almost
over the front wheels. The best ride in a conversion van is in the
seats behind the driver. They called my stretch E150 (AKA Moby Dick)
the limo if you were in the back.

Not the seating but the polar moments of the weight away from the axle.
Harder to move that pendulum of a rear bumper will give a much smoother
ride.

My stretch E150 had as much or more ass out behind the rear axle as a
caddy

Same thing with the E-350 I drive. It's a l o n g ass van.
Still rides like a brick though.

This conversation prompted me to look at the build sheet on my F-250
and I discovered why it may be a bit stiffer than others. It has the
factory "plow prep" package. I looked up what that is and it includes
heavier front end springs along with a couple of other things like a
200 amp alternator. It's rated for a plow weighing up to 750 lbs and
a fixed, plow mount assembly of up to 100 lbs. That's a lot of extra
weight hanging on the front of the truck. That prompted me to check
the weight of the plow I have. It's a stainless, medium duty "Snow
Dog". The mount assembly bolted to the frame is 80 lbs and the plow
itself is 450 lbs. So, I am well within the truck's rated capacity.

Hopefully I won't have to use it much this winter ... unlike last winter.

Is there an airbag shut off for plowing?

Airbag? There's no airbags on it that I know of.