John H.[_5_] John H.[_5_] is offline

Default Interesting Uber ride

On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 14:42:34 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 14:14:03 -0500, Keyser Söze wrote:

Interesting. I really don't get the appeal of these large camper/RV's.
If you want to enjoy nature and not sleep in a tent, the smaller campers
seem more than adequate. The behemoths you see on the highway are
expensive to buy and expensive to run and maintain, and it would take a
hell of a lot of nights in expensive hotels to justify towing a
$75,000-$100,000 or more RV. And then you have to drive it to where you
are going.

On our recent drive up from Florida, we stayed at a recommended motel in
South Carolina. Brand new, perfectly fine for the night, and...$70.

We live a little higher up the food chain on the road, First Class air
fare, Rental crossover and $200+ a night suites. When we compared
notes with our RV driving neighbors, we still came out money ahead
based on their 2-3 trips a year.
If you are like John and go somewhere once or twice a month, the gap
narrows considerably.
If you just weekend off to nearby places and go a lot, the RV might
make a lot of sense.
It looked attractive in Alaska because rooms are few and far between.
They were also expensive for mediocre places. I just wouldn't want to
drive an RV all the way to Alaska.

That's on the bucket list. Our buddies did it a couple years ago, took three months.
Drove through Canada on the way up, seeing the sights and then through northern USA
on the way back. My problem is the yard. I'd hate to return to a dead front and back
lawn. Getting a person to mow is no problem, but getting someone to water the lawn
is.
--

Ban idiots, not guns!