Radny

Default Old Town Castine vs. Nantucket

(PHILVID2) wrote in message . com...
I am looking to buy my first Kayak and I am looking at the Old Town
Castine and the Nantucket. I am 6' 195lbs, and I am looking to use
this kayak for overnight trips down rivers and larger creeks. I may do
some larger lakes in the future. I am also looking for a kayak that
will last me several years since I have to plans to upgrade for
several years.

How do these two compare in terms of stability, tracking, storage
space, and any other form of performance? Price does not matter since
I should be able to get either for less than $600. I would also
appreciate it if anyone has anything else that could help me make a
decision.

We have two Castines and when we tried them out we also tried the
Nantucket. The Nantucket is a larger version of the Castine. The
Nantucket is definitely heavier than the Castine, longer, which was a
problem since we were going to store ours inside and the Nantucket was
too long. As it turns out the Castine won't fit in our house after
all, so they live outside. The Nantucket wasn't as nimble as the
Castine. We've used ours for fla****er on a couple of lakes, and some
small rivers with up to class 2 rapids with no problems. We're
planning our first overnight in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, between
the two of them, there will maybe enough room for a small tent, a
couple of sleeping pads and a bit of food, but probably not much more
than that. The Nantucket probably has more storage room.
I agreed that it would be best to try both out to see which one you
like.