John P Reber

Default Handheld VHS Radio Question

Dave Van wrote:
Yes, another question about the marine radios.

I just picked a couple of these up. One for me one for a paddling partner.
The purpose is to have a way to call for help should the circumstance arise
and get weather reports. The instrucion manual came with a chart of
channels and what they are to be used for but it seemed a bit arcane using
abbreviations and then not providing a key to decipher them. My quesion is,
if members of a group of kayakers or kayakers in separate groups within a
couple miles or so of one another wish to communicate in order to naviagate
to the same destination or to each other, is there a channel that such
communication is appropriate in the US, more specifically on the Great Lakes
(Lake Michigan)?

Example: First group of kayakers launches in the morning and heads out to a
particular destination. First group monitors channel ?? Second group
launches in the afternoon and wishes to find First group by calling out on
channel ??

Is this allowed? What channel is it OK to do on.

It would be nice to be able to do this so as to avoid bringing a second set
of radios or cellular phones. But if the frequencies are not meant to be
used that way, then we will bring some FRS radios too.

Thanks for reading this.

Dave

http://www.cblights.com/cruising/vhfchannels_usa.asp

Basically, you should hail/monitor channel 9, then switch to one of the
recreational channels.