John Fereira

Default Home-built wooden kayaks

Melissa wrote in
:

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 22:37:56 GMT, John Fereira wrote:

(multiple strips of wood laminated together to create the sheer
clamps)

That's not unusual for a S&G boat that uses sheer clamps. Finding
stock long enough to make sheer clamps for a 17-18' boat can be
difficult.

I think you misunderstood what I meant with "multiple strips"...

I didn't mean just "end to end". The sheer clamps on the AH are
created by laminating thin pieces of plywood together at the same
time they're being glued onto the gunwales (also staggered in
length). This supposedly helps create sheer clamps that conform
easily to the curve of the sheer...especially the slight "recurve" of
the Greenland design at bow and stern. The recurve is held by
templates and wire clamps during this process. After the sheer
clamps are set, these subtle curves keep their shape.

Huh. The sheer clamps on my Northbay were constructed of three (if I
remember correctly) pieces of wood scarfed together before glueing them to
the garboards. I didn't notice that they caused the hull to lose it's shape
though I'm wondering if the wiring of the garboards at the bow and stern
might have gone a little easier if the method you used was done. The other
difference is that the sheer clamps are cut from pine stock and not plywood.
It would seem to me that the use of plywood might require the multiple piece
laminate more than if the sheer clamps were made of softer pine.

a "keel strip" of wood glued into the cockpit keel fillet,

Now, that *is* different. Did the manual call for that?

Yes. The strip is embedded in the keel fillet, and runs the full
length of the cockpit (extending slightly beyond both bulkheads at
either end of the cockpit).

Interesting.

I'd be interested to hear how much the Hawk ends up weighing.

The manual estimates a finished weight of 44 lbs. I don't have deck
fittings, deck lines, or cockpit outfitting installed yet, but even
at a few inches longer and slightly wider than my Caribou, it feels a
bit lighter than the Caribou. The Caribou is just under 50 lbs, and
I'll be very happy if the AH ends up in the same range (I'm not sure
it'll be 44 lbs., but I am pretty sure it'll be under 50 lbs.).

I've never weighed my Northbay but it feels like it weighs more than it's
estimated finished weight. My Outer Island on the hand feels very light.