Jake Janovetz

Default Home-built wooden kayaks

Of the Pygmy boat I tried I liked the Coho the best too. The Arctic Tern,
at least for me, had way too much volume for a Greenland style design.

For the person that posting the initial message to the thread; don't sell
yourself short in your ability to build a cedar strip boat. The building
process is very forgiving, probably more so than building a S&G boat.

John-

You sound quite knowledgeable on the designs of these kits. As I
mentioned, I've built two Pygmy's and am pleased with the results.
I'm very interested in the cedar strip design, but would like to see
one first. My aunt/uncle bought a double that was already built, but
I didn't like its design much at all. I think it was more of a
homebuilt than the more professionally assembled kits.

I'm mainly concerned about two things. First is the time required.
My Coho took about 80hrs and I've read that the cedar strips take
considerably longer than that. I'm also concerned about the equipment
required. I don't have much of a wood shop and frankly I'm not very
interested in acquiring one. I have friends with a good deal of
equipment, though.

Where would you suggest for a cedar strip kit? You've clearly seen
several of the s&g kits. What additional equipment would be required?

Cheers,
Jake