John Fereira

Default Whalewatchin VHF channel in San Juans?

otnmbrd wrote in news:3F2Hc.5711$sD4.4366
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Gary S. wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 01:12:11 GMT, otnmbrd
wrote:

Yes, BUT, the scan feature is normally limited to specific channels
..... i.e., you would have to program the "scan" to work all channels
and there's no guarantee you will be listening to the right one at the
right time.

Aren't there only about 80 VHF marine channels, and 7-10 set aside for
weather?

True, but that's still a lot of scanning time, to find the right one.

I've got an old scanner, probably 15 years old, that will scan a range of
frequencies. Just put in the lower frequency and the upper frequency and
hit scan. That will find active channels. I don't recall how many VHF
marine channels there are but 80 sounds like too many. When I used to play
around with a scanner a lot I could just go to the local radio shack to get
a lit of locally used frequencies.