MikeSoja

Default Old Town Castine vs. Nantucket

On 6 Jul 2004 10:56:10 -0700, (PHILVID2) posted:

I am looking to buy my first Kayak and I am looking at the Old Town
Castine and the Nantucket. I am 6' 195lbs, and I am looking to use
this kayak for overnight trips down rivers and larger creeks. I may do
some larger lakes in the future. I am also looking for a kayak that
will last me several years since I have to plans to upgrade for
several years.

How do these two compare in terms of stability, tracking, storage
space, and any other form of performance? Price does not matter since
I should be able to get either for less than $600. I would also
appreciate it if anyone has anything else that could help me make a
decision.

I'd definitely go with the Nantucket, even though I've never paddled
one. Especially if there's not much price difference.

I bought the Castine as my first kayak, and it was a fine boat, but
I quickly wanted something longer and sleeker, meaning faster. The
Nantucket isn't much narrower than the Castine but it is almost two
feet longer. The Castine was quite stable, and the Nantucket should
be, too. As wide as the Castine is, it's no slouch in moving along,
if you work at it. The one I had tracked very well. Of course, the
Nantucket is quite a bit heavier, though maybe you can spring for
the fiberglass version, which knocks the weight down significantly.
There should be quite a bit more storage on the Nantucket, too.

The Old Towns are well constructed boats, and are geared toward
activities like fishing and bumping around shallower, gentler
streams, though they can be paddled some distance in a day, too.

I took the Castine through some small surf once, and ended up going
sideways, so they're not the ideal boats for that kind of play.

Mike