Wright

Default P&H Kayaks?

On 7/2/04 5:33 AM, in article , "Tim
McTeague" wrote:

I bought a P&H Vela about 3 years ago and love it. The build quality is
very good if a bit heavier than say Current Designs. The Vela is really
made for smaller paddlers than I, 6'1" and 160 lbs, but I really like it.
As I paddle with very little extra gear I found many boats floated too high
and felt to "cork like" without extra ballast. I wish the thigh braces were
a bit more extreme, but most sea kayaks have only vestigial braces IMO. I
come from a whitewater background. There aren't many dealers around but
they are worth checking out. The only boat I liked as well as the Vela was
a Current Design Caribou S. Both had hard chines, which I like, but the
Caribou was nearly two feet longer and I have storage issues.

Tim McTeague

Thanks for the comments. I really did not think that I would 'luck-out' and
hear from someone who actually owned a Vela! I am a 130 lb male so the Vela
would appear to be made for someone like me; I am very familiar with the
cork like feeling that you describe. Even though I do not come from a
whitewater background I also like more substantial thigh braces - makes me
feel more in control of the boat. I guess if in the likely scenario that I
wind up buying a Vela that would give me something to tinker with! You did
not say anything about the rather narrow beam of the Vela - so I will take
that as a positive. The hard chines probably help.
Chuck