Mike McCrea

Default Wheels for a canoe

(Carlos Bill) wrote
I have an Old Town Discovery 174 that weighs 82lbs. It's impossible to
get onto my roof rack alone.

Carlos,

Here's the non-wheel solution that I use for loading and unloading my
boats. I have a blown L2-L3 disk and try to be careful about having to
clean & jerk a 70 pound boat.

My rack is built so that the larger/heavier canoe are placed in the
top slots, 5 and 7 feet off the ground. When I load one of these boats
I simply pull the stern out from the rack until just the bow stem is
resting on the front edge of the rack, and then lower the stern onto
the ground, so the canoe is resting like sorta like this \ but at more
of a 45 degree angle.

Then I walk under the canoe below the yoke, bend my knees slightly and
then stand upright. Presto, the canoe is on my shoulders.

I walk over to the van or the truck, both of which have a crossbar set
at the far end of the roof line, set the bow of the canoe on the rear
crossbar and lower the stern stem onto the ground. Step out from the
yoke, walk to the stern, pick it up and slide it onto the roof.
Presto, the canoe is on the roof racks.

Works for me :-)