Alex Horvath

Default Speaking of stability

Peter,

I have a kayak book (I think it's Derek Hutchinson's) which states
that there is really no reason to use a narrow kayak for touring. He
implied that the risk of capsize is too great and self rescue
techniques are only reliable in calm protected waters. I think he
defines narrow as less than 23".

The guy on the Caske site says the same thing. Apparently he was
paddling a wide folding boat whereas his partner (who was quite
experienced I gathered) was paddling a performance fiberglass craft
and in rough seas the latter regularly capsized, even to the point of
exhaustion.

On the other hand people regularly take the high performance craft on
expeditions in rough seas. One example is the Nordkapp which in
experienced hands is supposed to be one of the most sea worthy kayaks.
I guess NDK would claim that in rough seas the wider kayak tends to
tilt on the face of a wave whereas the Nordkapp would remain more
upright.

Perhaps it just boils down to experience level. What do you think
about this issue? I did not read the articles/info on your website in
great detail but apparently the speed difference between these boats
is not that great. If this is true, than can narrow kayaks be
considered as seaworthy or even more so than wider kayaks?

"Peter Unold" wrote in message ...
Speaking of stability... I made an observation this week.

While out doing the old re-entry-and-roll drill, I noticed how my new(5
month old) kayak is quite easy to paddle when the cockpit is half-full of
water.

My old kayak, turned into an Olympic K1 stability-wise, when it was
waterlogged, while the new one is only slightly more unstable.

The old kayak has a beam of 52cm and a flat bottom hull, while the new one
is 50cm wide with a very rounded hull.