Jon C

Default How far to kayak in a day?

"MikeSoja" wrote in message
On 18 Jun 2004 15:42:10 GMT, rap (Lord Nerd on
High) posted:

Just wondering what the average distance one could kayak in day, or

rather
eight hour period? Nothing too intense and under normal weather

conditions.
With hiking it's about 10 miles, biking is about 40 miles. Is kayaking
somewhere in between?

My friends and I were thinking of kayaking on Lake Champlaign in Vermont

this
summer and part of the plan would be to kayak up to some of the norther

islands
that allow for camping. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how far

south we
have to be to provide a good day's journey, though nothing that would

wipe out
inexperienced, yet fit, 32 year olds.

I have no idea if I'm representative or not, but paddling one leg up
the Ohio River, and taking it fairly easy on the leg back, I can
easily do over twenty miles in five or so hours. I've gone 25 miles
in six hours, again, half against the current, and half with.

Mike Soja

I'm extremely impressed with that. I recently kayaked around Manhattan, the
tide with us the whole way.. I believe the trip was just under 30 miles.
The 40 or so of us did it in just under 9 hours including a pair of 45
minute breaks.