Ki Ayker

Default How far to kayak in a day?

Just wondering what the average distance one could kayak in day, or rather
eight hour period?

When "sea kayaking," if I am paddling alone at a comfortable speed I find
that I generally do about 4 knots per hour. I can pretty much sustain this
speed all day long. I am a fairly competent paddler who prefers relatively fast
boats. So I would guess that you should be able to do 3 to 3.5, if not 4 knots
per hour, multiplied by however long you feel you can paddle in a day.
This said, you must also factor in wind and currents. Also, the more people
you add to the group, generally the slower the group will travel. Not to
mention sight seeing along the way will also slow you down. There really are no
hard a fast numbers, but these are, in my experiance, the ball park figures.

Scott
So.Cal.