Eric Nyre

Default Image in instruction

Hmmm.... Looks like Dave's message was zapped from my Usenet.

If it is in reference to my post, I guess I can comment (based on what
Jon posted).

First let me address the assumption that we are only talking about sea
kayaking in a coastal environment. I never said that. I'm talking
about fla****er canoe or kayaking, and my environment is beautiful
Colorado. My response is to a thread started by Te concerning keeping
a boat looking good for instruction. I do not know if that is in
reference to canoes, sea kayaks, or whatever, and for the purposes of
my thread it is irrelevant.

Rant over, response resuming ;-)

Rescue depends on paddling situations. River rescue is different from
open water rescue. But basic how to get in, how to turn, how to brace
strokes are universal.

Keep in mind, my basic intro classes have students who have never been
in a canoe or kayak before, some people who don't really know what
canoes or kayaks are (their friends bring them along. I don't want to
fry their brains with too much information.

At the end of my beginner classes, I allow the students a practice
session if they want (other people are ready to leave, but I encourage
practice). Those who practice will flip. When they do, I show them the
type of rescue appropriate to their paddling environment. If they are
paddling solo, I show them solo rescues. If they are paddling with
their friends, and their friends are in the class, I walk their
friends through the rescue. I feel they will all learn better if they
have hands on experience.

Either way (solo or friends assisting), whatever I am paddling won't
get scratched. My initial post was in response to all the image
concerns, and it is very easy for me to teach a class, provide
beginners with their basics, and not bang up a boat. For rescue and
recovery clinics, you bet I will be paddling one of my personal
scratched to no end boats, but that's not the subject of the thread.
We are talking about beginner fla****er classes.

Think back to the first time you ever saw a canoe or kayak up close.
If the instructor focused on what to do when you are upside down, you
would think that the boat is going to constantly flip. I want my
students to focus on paddling, at least for their first exposure. I
want them to have fun on their first time out. I save the work for the
next class (my rescue clinics are free and I strongly encourage my
students to participate in them).