Jon C

Default Image in instruction

"Dave Van" wrote in message
nk.net...
I'm not an instructor by any stretch of the imagination. But the above
seems out of sequence to me. Shouldn't a new kayaker know how to rescue

and
be rescued before learning techniques that might put them in the water?

Not necessarily. I see the logic in teaching them how to stop from tipping
over before tipping them over. If you're going to be teaching them bracing
in the same controlled conditions you'd teach a rescue, go ahead and teach
the bracing.. and if someone does go over, then get on with teaching rescue.

If I had the choice, I'd rather learn bracing than rescue. Bracing is a
technique you really need to be shown.. rescue is something you can be
talked through or figure out if it becomes necessary.