Brian Nystrom

Default replacing gel coat

wrote:

Does anyone know a good fill material for flecked gell goat? I have a
very old boat with literally 100s of pits some a 1/2 inch. It looks
like maybe the gel coat blistered. I tried filling the larger ones
with a gel coat mix, but frankly its way too much work for this old
wreck. But I'm attached to the boat. I'm looking for perhaps some sort
of easy filler that I can epoxy paint later when I do the whole
bottom.

I would suggest sanding it down, filling the worst areas with repair
filler (don't bother with gelcoat), then applying a high build primer.
Sand/prime/sand it until it's smooth enough for paint, then hit it with
your finish color.