Te Canaille

Default replacing gel coat

Thanks for a rational and experienced answer. That's pretty much what I need to know.

Te Canaille

"KAYAKFAN" wrote in message ...
After "dinging" my boat, I went to my local shop manager who had managed
composite at Wilderness Systems.a pro. I could have done it, but didn't want
to get in the business. He was doing me a favor.

I developed a stress crack from tightening too hard on my vehicle. He says
this is not uncommon with composites. I forget if he said that it was more
common with kevlar than fiberglass.

It seems if you are not careful, you may leave tiny hairs when you sand kevlar
that show through the gelcoat or resin. These hairs tend to wick moisture to
the kevlar mat.

He did both interior and exterior work. He built up the inside using small,
then medium, then large layers. To smooth the last layer, he used a minicell
block as a sponge over plastic sheeting.

Same thing with the outside. It had to be a particular kind of gelcoat,
something with the right base.

That's what I know. If you want to get good at this, risk mistakes. If you
want to paddle, pay someone.

Mike Goodman
High Point, NC