Michael Daly

Default replacing gel coat

On 7-Jun-2004, "Te Canaille" wrote:

Anyone out there had any experience replacing a gel coat exterior ? I've got a glass on kevlar hull that has a light blue gel coat
exterior that I'd like to replace with a white gel coat. I hear it's very tricky, lots of work, and usually disastrous for an
amateur to attempt.

If you get the old gel coat off, you'll then have a problem making the new
gel coat layer smooth. Better to just paint over the existing gel coat with
an epoxy paint. You can get this at a marine supply shop - it's made for
painting fiberglass boats. If you can spray it on, it will be quite smooth.
I've heard of folks paying a local auto painter to do the spraying.

Mike