Default CNN on Shooter Mental Health

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 11:08:08 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/8/2015 10:39 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 10:10:53 -0400, Keyser Söze wrote:

On 10/8/15 9:56 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 10/8/2015 9:07 AM, John H. wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 08:45:07 -0400,

First, my older son's daughter's boyfriend committed suicide Sept 30th
by shooting himself in the head with a gun. They were both JR's in high
school in SC and had been dating for several months. My granddaugher
was admitted to a mental health facility to get help
with this. Apparently her boyfriend had been depressed or had some
issues and she had been trying to help him overcome them. The
authorities sought and recovered all their text messages on their
respective cell phones.

Were the young man's parents "helping" him find ways to deal with his
depression? Was he in counseling? Who diagnosed him as being
"depressed"? Was the firearm he used in the possession of his parents?
If so, why wasn't it kept locked up, especially if the family had a kid
suffering from depression?

My nephew was suffering from depression and the family went out of
their way to rid the house of anything dangerous that they could think
of. He hanged himself from a tree.,

I have some very strong feelings and opinions about what is going on
now-a-days related to so called "mental health" issues and other
influences on young people today. Probably better that I keep them to
myself rather than start a freakin' newsgroup battle.

For Harry:

I don't know the answers to your questions. I don't know the poor kid
or his family.

That said, his story and many like it are becoming far too familiar.
Almost "faddish" in a way. Something is seriously missing in many homes
and family relationships today. Pills and "counseling" seem to be
replacing common sense parenting. Sad and frustrating.

The current thinking seems to be that there is a pill for everything
and I agree that when you get the drug cocktail dialed in, people do
seem to be "better" but the operative word there is really "seem". It
is not a cure, it is simply masking the symptoms. They also have to
monitor and adjust the cocktail fairly regularly.
That usually means increasing the dose or switching to a stronger
drug. This is just an addiction at a certain point because it is worse
when the drugs are withdrawn than it was when they started.
Unfortunately the patient is usually the one who decides they don't
want the drugs anymore. They would rather be a little nutty than to be
drugged up all the time. The most common outcome is they end up
homeless, in prison or dead. A lot of times, all 3 in fairly short
order.
The ones who avoid professional help usually end up self medicating
with alcohol and street drugs.

I have seen estimates that far more than half of the chronically
homeless people in the us have serious mental issues.