John R Weiss

Default dog training advice?

"riverman" wrote...

What a cool thread! Never trained a dog to be a canoeing partner, but I
think I'd also suggest getting her used to her PFD beforehand. Maybe put

it
on her, then go play frisbee or something so she gets used to PFD = fun.
Smack her if she chews on it. I don't know if they make commercial doggie
PFDs, but I'd look into designs....I imagine you'd want more flotation

down
around her chest area to keep her head up, but not so wide that it
interferes with her dogpaddling.

We've seen several dogs in kayaks and canoes on the Puget Sound and Lake
Washington.

Depends on the dog, of course, but our Brittany never objected to the PFD.
We take her out in our 21' SeaPearl, and are working up to taking her in the
Adirondack Guideboat (she's a bit active right now...). The first time we
took her sailing, we just put the PFD on her, and she jumped into the boat!

There are a few commercial canine PFDs available. The cheap one we have has
lasted 5+ years, and we just bought another, "better" one (don't have the
name handy). All the floatation is on top/sides, and only the straps go
around the chest/belly; otherwise it ight tend to invert...

I think I'd also spend some time with her in the canoe in the yard, so she
can get used to her 'spot' in it. .

I'd suggest a shallow spot near the beach rather than the back yard. Start
right off with the entry/exit, and practice retrieving her when (not "if"!)
she jumps overboard.