Default Yuppie Walmart

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 13:29:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 2:40:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I don't see that much difference between walmart and target or home
depot. The wage gap is pennies.
IBM came out in the 90s and said they wanted to learn lessons from
walmart and so did most US corporations.
Prior to that, sony "quality" was the goal and where is sony now?
They are still scratching out a living but their quality has fallen
off to "market driven" too and they are groveling down in the mud with
Visio, Samsung and Phillips.

Their quality was fairly good back in the day, but a lot of that was marketing and exterior design. With few exceptions, the actual electronics were barely better than other name brand stuff, and no more reliable. Meanwhile, you paid extra for the name, and when it broke it was a pain to fix due to the proprietary IC's they used.

Now the price point is much closer, the performance is indistiguishable, and the stuff is all throw-away anyway.

Last surround sound receiver I bought was a Sony to replace an old Sony. It was crap. I sent it back and paid a couple hundred more for a nice Onkyo. It blew the Sony away.

Sony went in the crapper along with the rest of Japan. I remember when
they were going to take over the world. It lasted a little longer than
their "world domination" in the 30s and 40s. We didn't even have to
nuke them this time ... pity. ;-)

Now it is starting to look like China may not be the juggernaut we
were thinking they were either. They are starting to be gnawed on at
the bottom from places like Vietnam.
In spite of all the western money, the chinese economy is downing in
debt and they have a real estate bubble of their own going on.